Friday, September 22, 2006

[a reason]

If you are not yet aware of this, it will not take you long to realize--I have an immense [perhaps sometimes overboard] passion for the city of Syracuse. I was born here; I grew up here; I live here; I am being educated here. The city has provided me with a forum of interaction, a place to form a wealth of experiences. I am as equally enamored with the wonderful existing urban fabric of Syracuse as I am alarmed by its current apparent state of despair. I can sense, and see, the amazing potential that the city and region is poised on the edge of--just waiting for a little push, for some people to stir things up a bit, for the dialogue to become concrete action.

This blog can become an ongoing discussion and deliberation among all of us who wish to put our hands on the theoretical back of the city and give it that slight nudge into a context of prosperity. While still in school [studying architecture], it may sound overly ambitious that I want to become a catalyst for the ongoing revitilization of Syracuse, but I am already immersing myself in this process. I am working in a design studio at the Warehouse, conceptualizing a mixed-use development on the western edge of downtown, near Armory Square, that not only has the potential to be built, but also will help to infuse another corner of the city with a 24-hour presence. I'm becoming ever-more involved with AdaptCNY [an off-shoot of 40 Below] and their efforts to restore the splendor of the Wilson Building in the heart of downtown. Some friends and I are even formulating a creative live/work/play endeavor we look forward to undertake within the next few years, downtown.

I realize there are a lot of I's above, but I don't intend for it to remain this way. Sure I'm using this blog as a showcase for my work as it trickles onto these pages, but I want you to critique it, to propose your own ideas, to start a discussion around this all. I want you to become as much as force behind positive change as all of us participating in this dialogue strive to become. Lets become a driving force behind a new vibrancy in the city of Syracuse.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jason, I love the passion you have for Syracuse. After having read the article about Daryl Gross in the Post Standard last week, it got me thinking: Who could be the City of Syracuse's Daryl Gross. Who in Syracuse, besides me of course, has a lofty vision for Syracuse? Who believes Syracuse can be a great city again? Who has the passion to do what Gross does for SU Athletics...for the City of Syracuse? Who envisions Syracuse as vibrant, modern city that attracts new companies, outside investment, and new residents. Who wants an impressive skyline to take shape in downtown Syracuse? Who wants change and isn't afraid to shake this city up?

Unfortunately, I was not able to find one politician that can be Syracuse's Daryl Gross.

My only hope is with young people like you, Jason. It's people like you who can set change in motion.
But I fear that Syracuse will not grow up out of its past until the current wave of geriatrics have passed on. And then it will be the younger generations' turn to show Syracuse to the world as a cosmopolitan city. But that means we might need to wait 20 years before our generation gets into politics.

There might be a faster way though. First it needs a grassroots effort. A group of smart people who desire real change in Syracuse leadership. Right now, Syracuse is at the mercy of Jake Crouthamel type leadership. No passion. No real vision. Just getting along and collecting a paycheck. Politicians who just want to make the masses happy. True leadership like Gross has, comes from deep within a person. It's a inner drive to make the vision in your mind a reality in real life. I have that passion and I have a future vision of Syracuse in my head. I'm not sure how many people in Syracuse even have that. So maybe the answer lies in trying to recruit someone with passion to run for mayor of Syracuse. In an ideal world, we could recruit someone from a more progressive part of the country like Texas or California. But that's not going to work with the way the political system operations today. Maybe there is a someone in Syracuse that works in the private sector who has passion and a grand vision for Syracuse that could be recruited to run for mayor. Just an idea.

On another note for those who believe Syracuse shouldn't turn it's back on it's past, if Europe can manage to build beautiful modern structures among centuries old pieces of architectural genius then why can't Syracuse? It's been done in Europe for over a thousand years but Syracusans believe we ought to live a time-frozen bubble where nothing changes and nothing happens.

You ask, if I was mayor, what would I do? The first major plan I would work on in Syracuse would go something like this.....The plan: The mayor contacts local real estate developers. Mayor asks developers if they would be interested in building a new office building downtown if the Mayor gets businesses to fill the building. One developer says OK. Mayor contacts Governor. Mayor asks Governor to look for expanding companies to fill building. Governor's office ask an out of state company if they would be interested in expanding in a proposed building. Company says yes. Developer builds new office building. Company moves into building.

Second plan would be to work on a computer generated vision of Syracuse. What I picture in my head will be constructed on a computer for investors to look at. I'd call companies, developers, all the movers and shakers I could think of and invite them to be part of this up and coming city called Syracuse. I'd show them my vision for the future and tell them how they can play a role in it. I'd get the state involved too. Part of my vision for Syracuse includes the area east of downtown. That area I believe should be a new downtown with modern tall buildings, walkable streets, enough parking for workers and residents. I'd create a computer generated plan for that area and then start luring investors to start building it. I'd not only limit my search for investment in the US, but I'd look for international investors too. I'd create a uplifting, progressive, world class commercial like Hong Kong's "We will rock you" TV commercial on CNBC World. I might not have the money to show it on TV, but I'd have the commercial ready to show investors.

Sorry this is so long. I got carried away. I'm looking forward to the design for the proposed mix-use buildings in Armory Square. I have just one suggestion. A lighting scheme to light up the buildings at night would be nice. For examples of what I mean, look at the new skyscrapers they are building in China all lite up at night. Then give it a Syracuse twist. Thanks for listening!

Anonymous said...

I've never lived anywhere except Southern California and in June of 2007 I will move to Syracuse for my three year training in anesthesiology at the Upstate Medical Center. I love the history of Syracuse and the role it served in the early 20th century as the salt producer and as a center of activity on the Erie Canal. I've been pouring my interest into the history of Syracuse. Then I ran across a website called www.yestercuse.com, which highlights the city planning blunders and the its continuous and inevitable decline. I was especially disappointed to find out that the Erie Canal has been filled in and made into Erie Boulavard long ago. How amazing are the old pictures of Erie Canal running through downtown (http://www.eriecanal.org/Syracuse.html) surrounded by beautiful old buildings? Syracuse seemed more alive then with the Canal than without. I was also disappointed to learn that some of the old buildings have been demolished in the 70's. I hope we can save the city's last remaining architectural gems. Is there any chance to bring back the canal to the downtown area? Is it a good idea?

Rickey_kim@hotmail.com
Long Beach, CA